I’m doing something new. Well, that’s kind of funny since the whole quilting thing is new in general, but I’m making a quilt based on a pattern that uses Moda pre-cut fabrics. The pattern is ‘Candy Bar Road’ and I really love the simplicity of it. I first saw it at amandajean’s and she made a Christmas quilt from this pattern out of her stash. This is a great pattern for a few reasons. It works up really quick. I’ve made all the blocks while sewing on and off in two days, I’d say five hours total. I’m using the ‘Charisma’ line from Moda and the pattern uses one jelly roll and one layer cake. I’m feeling rather ‘meh’ about using these. I think a big part of the fun in quilting for me is the choosing of fabrics. It’s where being a control freak pays off. And while I think this quilt will be pretty when it’s done, and will look good in our living room on our new couch that’s due to arrive any day now, I don’t feel as invested in this quilt as I usually do. Also, it just might be too matchy-matchy for me.
So, as I approach putting the quilt top together, what I’m thinking is that I’ll definitely make this pattern again. It has a fresh feel and lets the fabrics shine. I enjoy the convenience of the pre-cut fabrics, but I think from now on, I’ll be choosing my fabrics one at a time. I like that process too much.
For a pink and green quilt someday…
I’m starting to put away fabrics that are pink and red and sometimes white. I love the intensity of those colors together. Perhaps I’ll do that quilt in ‘Candy Bar Road’ pattern. Meanwhile, it’s fun just being on the lookout for them. One more that I don’t have a picture of is this one…and it might be my favorite…
It’s all done! I’m very happy with how it turned out. It was a very organic process, I didn’t know how I was going to quilt it until it was time to do it. The coins were quilted in a kind of herky-jerky, back and forth, angled free-form. I think you can see it in the picture. For the grey panels, I did what I’m calling tendrils. It was a kind of loose, wavy criss-crossing long lines in several shades of grey and green. Here is a close-up of some of the quilting.
Ok, that’s pretty blurry. It’s another finished quilt at night, and this is the best I can get right now. Hey! Here’s the back.
It’s a large panel of the Kaffe Fasset fabric that is predominate in the coins, and the horizontal panel of coins with the pear at the bottom. I’m going to have a hard time giving this one away, but I’m looking forward to surprising my recipient as well.
My first post for Sunday Stash! If you want to join in on the fun, you can join here.
This was an order from reprodepot. LOVE the little girls floating around in their little beds, being awakened by roosters.
This is my current quilt, a gift for Christmas, another Chinese coin quilt. This pattern is fun and fast, and you can free-form the strips so that they end up different widths. This picture is has changed the color some, when you look at it in real life, it is almost an overwhelming in green. The color here is a bit washed out. The grey is ‘charcoal’ in Kona cotton and there are three stacks of coins. I’m loving a bright, standout quilting thread, and so I’m thinking of using two or three colors, of blues and greens.
I’ll be doing another pieced backing. This will be horizontal:
I loved making that wonky square! I hope to have this done by Sunday. Pieced binding or solid? Not sure yet, but I have SO many scraps left over that I might have to. Stay tuned…
I’ve been meaning to make my older daughter a small book bag for some time. So, when I came across a free pattern from JCasa Handmade I knew this was the pattern I’d been looking for. You can make it as either a wall pocket, with one handle, or put on two handles and call it a tote. I pulled together two Japanese import fabrics, and one of my scraps from the Katie Jump Rope line from my girl, Denyse. Just like the pattern promised, in about an hour, I had this. It’s going in the Secret Hiding Spot of Christmas Presents (The closet) and will be given, filled with new books.
Go on, make one!
My Spare Change quilt is done! I’m very happy with the results. It measures 50 inches square and what I really like is the curly quilting. It was very fun and notably easier than stippling.
I just loved the fabrics I received in this swap. I especially loved the red one below on the right. Vintage, but modern feeling.
Also, I had a nutty idea to see what would happen if I used a white thread in my bobbin, with red in my needle. So, the back ended up looking like this. I like it! I have to say that using red on white fabric for the quilting did mean that I had to really do the best work that I possibly could. Every tiny error shows for sure.
So, I loved this swap. I’m thinking that in 2009, I’m going to organize my own quilt square swap, because this way really fun. A big, special thank you to Juliette from Chickpea Sewing Studio. I know you worked really hard on this and it was really fun!
I want to eat them all up! (Fabric and all…)